Question

01 Apr 2003

Appendicitis
Please tell me exactly what physical examination is done to diagnos the above. I was told that it is via the rectum. Is this correct? The reason I am asking is because I am resident in the Middle East & am reluctant to have this examination done out here.

Cathy, the diagnosis is made on history of an increasing pain in the right lower abdomen, fever, nausea and pain on examination of the right lower abdomen. A rectal examination is only done if there is doubt about the diagnosis. If you’re interested in something wrote on the subject a while ago, you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.