Question

Apthous Ulcers
I've been suffering from major apthous ulcers for the past seven years and have tried everything from salt to steroids. They are extremely painful and I am very frustrated that can't be helped. My job requires me to speak with people all the time, something which is hard to do when I suffer from bouts of these ulcers for 3 weeks at a time. I have done a bone marrow biopsy, which showed that I am neutropenic and a biopsy where they cut out one of the ulcers in my outh, but that I was told just showed that it's apthous ulcers. I have been prescribed nothing and am suffering extreme pain, please help!! Rose

Rose, aphthous ulcers are very difficult to treat. Have you tried rinsing your mouth with Mucaine®? It should give temporary relief of the pain. I wrote something on aphthous ulcers a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Read it and let me know if you have more questions. Good luck. Good luck.