Ask an expert

10 Jan 2008

arc eyes
What can I do to relieve arc eyes?
Answer 1,367 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Daphne
Not much I'm afraid - it is actually due to raw burn wounds of the cornea. You can put in antibiotic ointment and take an anti-inflammatory like Disprin or Brufen. If really bad, keep the eyes closed up with eye pads for 24 h. NEVER EVER put in anaesthetic drops as then you can't feel if anything like dust gets into your eyes or you can inadvertently rub it too hard, permanently damaging the cornea. Best treatment is to prevent arc eyes by always wearing protective glasses.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18606 votes