Question

Are doctors performing mastectomies unnecessarily?
Dear Doc, I have been diagonsed with breast cancer. I was one of the lucky ones that landed up with an exceptional doctor in PTA. Her method is to manage the cancer with therapies and then perform conservative surgery, rather than firt surgically remove the breast and then treat with therapies. I still have both my breasts, but the tumor was shrunk by Chemo and has been successfully removed. My friend's mother was not so lucky. She was diagnosed with cancer in the breast and the very next day she was in theatre and had a mastectomy. I want to know how doctors can get away with this? No one even sent her for a mammogram first. I was told that when a patient is wheeled into theatre to have their breast removed, it should only be once a team of the patient themselves, an ongologist, a surgeon & a radiologist have agreed on it. Surely there should be legal steps one can take if this has not taken place. I know it wont bring her breast back, but at least it can save hundreds of women from loosing their breasts unneccessarily. I know for a fact that if I had not landed up in PTA, I would have had only 1 breast now as I had the same type of cancer as my friend's mother.

BCP, whether your breast is removed or not doesn’t depend on what type of cancer you have, but rather on the size of the tumour. I doubt that anyone is chopping off breasts left right and centre and I’m sure if you follow up the facts you will see that se had a fairly big tumour. Good luck.