Question

AS genotype
hi doc
please what do i do to prevent giving birth to an SS genotype child because me and my fiance are both AS genotype.
Cyberdoc

Hallo Ella
Unfortunately there is no way to prevent it, but your child only has a 25% chance (1 of 4) of having sickle-cell disease. You can go for genetic counselling and consider an in vitro fertilization procedure that improves the chances for parents who both carry the sickle cell gene to have a child with normal hemoglobin. This procedure is known as preimplantation genetic diagnosis. First, eggs are taken from the mother. Then, sperm is taken from the father. In a laboratory, the eggs are fertilized with the sperm. The fertilized eggs are then tested for the presence of the sickle cell gene. Fertilized eggs free of the sickle cell gene can be implanted into the mother for normal development. However, this procedure is expensive and not always successful. You can find out at your nearest academic hospital gynecology department if this is possible in your area? It has ethical implications that needs to be considered as the fertilized eggs with the SS gene will be destroyed ("aborted")