Question

assessments at work

Hi i am an auditor. Recently we have done tests at work. It is a sort of aptitude test. your score is compared to 2 norms. The generic norm( population in SA) and the company norm. My tests is 8 out of 10 compared to generic and 4 out of ten compared to company. This is my numeric ability to add and subtract. I can't understand this as I have been tested before going to univerity and my numerical skills tested at the phycologist was very good. I gave maths extra classes at Master Maths for about 2 years while completing my bcomm accounting information systems degree. I got Cum Laude. I spoke to the doctor giving us the results and he does't seem bothered that my score is so low. I feel very dissappointed and feel that I maybe don't have the abilities I thought I had. according to this stats I am not supposed to be an auditor!!!! I feel unhappy with the fact that I work between CA's and highly qualified people. I am sure I have the ability to have any qualification they have as I have always done exceptionally well academically everywhere and with everything I have done. Call it my ego that is hurt, I don't know, I just feel inadequate in my working environment now, and this inferior feelings is affecting my ambition to become a better me. Any suggestions please? Thank you

Dear lady,
Well, firstly many of the tests being administered in firms and offices are of doubtful reliability and validty anyhow ; and in my opinion should NEVER be administered without providing backup counseling to discuss them with those tested and to help folks work through how best to interpret them.
On the face of it, there's no reason why ( let alone with your good educational background ) you shouldn't be an excellent auditor. The test relating your scores to the general population confirms that you are talented and gifted as regards math scors ( as measured by this test, which cannot provide a fully comprehensive measure of the whide variety of mathematical skills one may have ). The score relating your abilities to those of others in the company, simply show, not that your skills are in any way deficient, but that your company has assembled a bunch of people with even higher maths skills. And there will be folks in your group with lower scores, and nobody's suggesting they're not fit to be auditors.
And remember, most or all of the maths necessary can be done by the computer, anyway. It's only part of the skills needed by an auditor. Of the auditors I've had the misfortune to work with at times, many were atrocious, though their math skills may have been adequate, due to massive personality flaws including instinctive dishonesty and malice towards clients. I suspect I'd far rather choose you, as an auditor. Don't talk yourself into feeling or being inferior --- you're not at all so.