Question

asthma
Dear Sir/Madam,

Please could you advise me if I am suffering from asthma or it this some other type of infection? Approximately four times a year often combine with a cold I experience extreme breathing difficulty during the night. Usually I wake up with my throat restricted gasping for air this lasts up to a minute. Immediate cure is to get out of the house and breathe in fresh air. As soon as the fresh air reaches my throat the restriction goes away and I can go back to bed. Twice this has happened in a hotel fortunately there was a window I could open. Phoning the front desk would be pointless as communication is impossible at the time. Please advise accordingly. My GP is not really concerned about the condition.

Regards,

Brian Jelks

Brian

You can consult a pulmonologist/lung specialist for an examination, blood tests, a lung function test and a chest x-ray to determine the cause for your problem. A viral bronchitis can present with these symptoms but other possibilities have to be excluded.