Ask an expert

02 Aug 2011

Asthma and chest pain
Hi Doctor, I''ve been having chest pain, shortness of breath and vomiting due to coughing for the last couple of years (± 3). Only recently I''ve been having pain in my chest and behind my left shoulder blade. I''m also very tired. I have had chest x-rays about two years ago but they saw nothing. I don''t exercise because I get too tired. I''m only 33 years old. I''ve been putting this all down to allergies and asthma but it seems to be getting worse can I ask my doctor to test for TB? Because I have family that are healthcare workers? My one family member recently had pleurisy so could that have been TB?
Answer 418 views

01 Jan 0001


If you feel at risk, ask your doctor to do a sputum test to exclude tuberculosis. It will also be a good idea to consult a pulmonologist (lung specialist) to determine the cause for your chronic cough, shortness of breath and chest pain.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18678 votes