Question

Asthma and chest pain
Hi Doctor, I''ve been having chest pain, shortness of breath and vomiting due to coughing for the last couple of years (± 3). Only recently I''ve been having pain in my chest and behind my left shoulder blade. I''m also very tired. I have had chest x-rays about two years ago but they saw nothing. I don''t exercise because I get too tired. I''m only 33 years old. I''ve been putting this all down to allergies and asthma but it seems to be getting worse can I ask my doctor to test for TB? Because I have family that are healthcare workers? My one family member recently had pleurisy so could that have been TB?

Kim

If you feel at risk, ask your doctor to do a sputum test to exclude tuberculosis. It will also be a good idea to consult a pulmonologist (lung specialist) to determine the cause for your chronic cough, shortness of breath and chest pain.