Question

Athlete Fitness
I am 16 years old and I would like to play professional Football. I know that in this career you need to be really fit. I have a little excercise program that I made for myself and I probably jog 4 times a week and I also do sprints and muscle Buliding excercises
but how will I get fit enough to play 45 minutes a side with professionals? I still have at least another 5 months until we start playing matches. Any advice will be appreciated.
Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis

What you are doing now is a great start. You are still young, and I think that it is terrific that you are thinking ahead and setting yoruself the goal of playing soccer as a pro. But the thing about being young, is that the body and the mind are probably not quite ready to be a full time athlete, and so doing training as though you were a 24 year old is not a great idea. So I would say that for now, you should just stick with what you are doing in the off season. Remember, it's 5 months until you begin playing, so you have so long to get yourself into a reasonable level of fitness and then you can approach the season with a different training programme. There is certainly nothing that I would add to your current training - keep up the jogging, but don't go too far or for too long. Also, don't overdo the sprint and muscle building exercises, just enjoy the training, don't push yourself.

And, at the end of the day, the only way to really prepare for playing soccer is to play soccer. So the first few games of the year, you will struggle, and it's the base level of fitness that you are working on now that will allow you to recover and then get better. But everyone starts the season needing a few games to get fully prepared, there's not much you can do about that, without overdoing the training now. So just enjoy the next five months, work on base fitness and skills, and then when the season starts, all this will stand you in good stead.