Question

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder [ADHD]

I need to establish whether ADD and ADHD fall within the ambit of the definition of a mental illness as defined in the Mental Health Act.

A Mental illness is defined in the Mental Health Act as: “a positive diagnosis of a mental health related illness in terms of accepted diagnostic criteria made by a mental health care practitioner authorised to make such diagnosis”

As far as I am concerned it is linked to an apparent disorder in the brain and should be regarded as a mental illness. I wish to assist several several parents with ADD children but am experiencing difficulties with SARS. These parents forcibly incurr huge costs dealing with the conditions of their children which should be allowed for tax purposes but SARS cannot see past the label of 'learning dissabilities' and 'hyperactice children' and refuse to accept that it is a medical/ mental disorder.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Antonie

Antonie, I think it’s a medical disorder and so does the American Psychiatric Association (refer them to the internationally used DSM IV classification of psychiatric conditions). You can also drop CyberShrink a line and ask him what he thinks. Good luck.
PS, I’m sorry I took so long to answer your question, but all the answers posted in reply to questions posted on the 29th somehow got lost in Cyberspace. Here it is again.