Question

Avamys
My ENT prescribed Avamys for my sinus problems. Initially it helped with the hayfever symptoms. Unfortunately it wore off. It does however still help tremendously to unblock my nose. As it is a corticosteroid, I would just like to know how long is safe enough to be using it? I''ve had a 6 month prescription which I stretched out for 9 months now. The ENT said I could reduce dosage gradually - which I tried but my nose would still block up.
Sinus Expert
Sinus Expert

Although Avamys contains a corticosteroid it is safe to use longterm as the systemic absorbtion is negligible and whatever is absorbed gets broken down in the liver. Therefor know systemic side effects of corticosteroids will be encountered. Longterm use is not a problem. Corticosteroid sprays block the late response of the body to allergens and thus it is more effective to relief mucous discharge and blockage(congestion). If early allergen respons symptoms like sneezing and itching remains a problem in allergy combining the nasal spray with a new generation oral antihistamin is indicated.