Question

Baby Fat and breastfeeding
Hi Doc,

My baby is 5 months now and i am still picking up weight.
I look as big as i was when i was pregnant and this is starting to have an effect. I have few clothes that i can wear and i am not prepare to go shopping for new clothes.

I am still breastfeeding as well, is there anyway that i can eat but loose weight.

I use to go to the gym but i've stopped as well because of time.

Dear Tired
Because you are breastfeeding (which is the greatest gift you can give your child which will have a positive effect on his/her health and even help to prevent him/her from suffering obesity in later life), I would like to recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian to help you with a diet that will reduce your energy intake without affecting your milk production. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If is important that you have a well balanced diet rich in those nutrients both you and your baby need, but that you do lose weight. I understand that you feel tired, but if possible do try to include some form of moderate exercise in your daily schedule. Take baby for a walk in his/her pram for 30 min a day to stimulate your metabolism and assist weight loss.