Question

baby measles?
Dear doctor,

My ten month-old girl had a fever for 4 days, obvious ear ache and oral thrush. After the fever broke, a rash appeared which spread over her head, body and upper arms. The GP said that it was baby measles/roseola. How does this differ from measles, are there any complications, can she get it again, how does it spread (she stays home with me and her 3 year-old brother)? I can't find anything on the topic in the A-Z of Health24. Thank you.

Mom, roseola infantum is usually caused by human herpesvirus 6 and less commonly by herpesvirus 7. The disease occurs most often in the spring and fall. It is a measles like rash. The fever can go quite high (up to around 40° C). It usually clears up without any problems after 3-5 days and only supportive treatment (Ponstan®, Panado®, proper hydration, etc.) is necessary. If you’re interested in more information you can e-mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll “cut ‘n paste” you something. Good luck.