Question

28 Oct 2009

Back muscle jolts/ spasms
Hello

I often suffer from sudden muscle spasms which feels like electrical jolts that travel from my lower back right up to the back of my neck, these usually disturb my sleep as they start as soon as I lie down, they sometimes even carry on even though I am on an upright, sitting position, depening on the intensity.

Can you please tell me what causes this and what treatment is available as this is hugely frustrating especially when it affects my sleep.

Hallo Zizi
This can be caused by neuropathy or a nerve root compression. Please let your doctor examine you and see if x/rays of the back is needed. He may need to give you a muscle relaxant to prevent these episodes