Ask an expert

07 Dec 2005

back support
I have a staff member who needs back support ( pillow ). The injury is over the L3 And L4 area of his back. This will be for the office chair. Could you please recomennd a solution
Thank You

Answer 380 views
EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

01 Jan 0001

It is often recommended that someone recovering from a lower back injury should use a 'lumbar cushion', which is any small, comfortable cushion that is placed between the lower back and and the back of the chair, to provide greater support to this part of the spine. Chairs designed to be kneeled on, rather than sat on, are also sometimes recommended - but some people find these uncomfortable or inconvenient. It's important to remember that sitting puts a lot of stress on the lower back, so someone recovering from injury (and all of us who lead sedentary lifestyles) should aim to reduce the amount of time spent sitting, and take frequent breaks to stretch and change position.

In addition to any recommendations from his/her doctor, your staff member needs to observe good posture and safe movement at all times. There are many helpful articles on this in the 'Backache' section - particularly under 'Good Posture' and 'Preventing Backache'.

You may also want to post this question to Rehabilitation after Injury or the Physiotherapist.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.