Question

BACK TO BASICS 2: SWIMMING QUESTION
Thanx very much you confirmed that I can go for cycling with the backrest & swimming (disk degeneration prob), but what I would like to ask you is the following:

Is a combination of cycling and swimming enough to achieve fitness and all over body toning (all muscles e.g. back, arms, tum, legs etc). Does swimming strengthen your "core" as opposed to those specific exercises. I would be quite happy to just cycling and swim if it is good enough. I will monitor for any pain.

Can you please give me a guideline or two here:
How much cycling per week at what intensity and for how long?
Same for swimming? (I am unfit at the moment & overweight, but used to be a good swimmer / all strokes).
I will train at Virgin Active.

I feel most inspired after your reply - thanks again, just this further guideline would help. Then I will get going...
Biokinetici

if you are unfit then I would suggest 2-3 times per week at low intensity (70% of max hart rate) for not more than 30 min at a time, warm up and cool down included. Then add about 10% per week in the time that you spend per activity eg cycling or swimming. If you experience any pain consult your GP or Bio at the VA. Swimming will help with your core but not as specific as specific core exercises.
I hope this will help