Question

Bags under eyes
Hi. I'm a 43 year old guy but am generally told that I look about early 30's. I take pride inmy appearance and try to look after myself as best as I can. For the last few months I have been getting black bags ir rings under my eyes. How do I get rid of them? Is there some kind of cream or ointment that I can put under my eyes to remove them? I have heard something about this, but I don't know if its true. I would like age as gracefully as possible. Call me vain, but what the hell! Thanks.

Guy, the most common causes for dark rings under the eyes are allergies and lack of sleep. It is also often seen in serious chronic disease, and nutritional deficiencies like a vitamin C may cause it, but it’s probably due to lack of sleep and the underlying chronic disease rather than the deficiency itself.
Folic acid is often suggested as a remedy even if you have no folic acid deficiency on blood test. I have no idea if it works for dark rings under the eyes, but it can’t do harm if you try it. Another suggested remedy is a cream called circle clear available OTC at the pharmacy – once again, it’s not something that I have real knowledge of.
The best would be to make sure that there is no serious underlying problem – a visit to your GP will take care of that. I have found that if there is no serious underlying cause the rings will go away by themselves. Taking a good multivitamin and mineral preparation won’t do any harm either. Good luck.