Question

Bald patches in facial hair
I am 35 years old and have three bald patches (size of old R1 coin) on the right hand side of my face where facial hair is very light and thin (almost non-existant). When shaven it is not evident, but becomes very obvious when not clean shaven (eg. over week-end).

I have been told that this is a mild fungus that can be cleared with the use of an inti-bacterial cream. Is this the case? and if yes - what can I use? and will I require a prescription from my GP or dermatologist?

If not a fungus, what are these bald areas and can they be cleared?

Raymond, I can’t say for sure without examining you first, but the most common cause for localised alopecia (hair loss) is a fungal infection or alopecia areata. Fungal infections that cause hair loss are, unlike most other fungal skin infections, always treated systemically, i.e. with pills and not creams. Alopecia areata is sudden hair loss in circumscribed areas in individuals who have no obvious skin disorders or systemic diseases. Any hairy area may be involved, the scalp and the beard most frequently. Rarely, all the body hair may be lost (alopecia universalis). The prognosis is poor if alopecia is extensive, but alopecia confined to a few areas is often reversed in a few months, though recurrences may occur. If severe, it can be treated with cortisone injections into the affected areas.
Using an antibacterial ointment will have effect. At the end of the day the best will be to see a dermatologist and have it sorted out. Good luck.