Question

Bare foot
Hi doc

I like doing exercise dvd''s. Mostly kardio, like kickboxing or a bootcamp or fat blaster. Or even skipping rope in between.

I want to know is it good to do this kind of exercise bare foot?

Hi Angie

Probably pretty good. The good thing is that there is variety - the danger in barefoot running is that you repeat the same thing over and over and if the ankle and calf are not strong, it can lead to major problems. But things like this are varied, and so you're more likely to avoid overuse.

Having said that, there is of course a risk, because it's unfamiliar. And wearing shoes weakens our feet and calves and tendons, and so you need to look at going barefoot as going back to basics. So don't just do the same thing barefoot - start by doing only 5 minutes barefoot, the rest in shoes. Then add minutes, up to 10, up to 15, and eventually you will get to the whole thing. But increase slowly, listen to your body and stay out of trouble, especially with the calf and Achilles tendons!

Ross