Ask an expert

19 Jun 2011

Barlady and the labour law
I have been working at the same place for 18 months and am deemed as a permanent employee. There are no contracts involved and no proof of me working there. I work between 40 and 70 hours per week because i am the only employee there so have to be there whenever the place is open. I am forced to work on public holidays as well as weekends. I didnt get my increase this year like i did last year. I am made to go to the bank to get change, and to the shops to get things for the bar...with my own vehicle &  petrol... is there anything wrong here?
Answer 1,303 views
Labour lawyer
Labour Lawyer

01 Jan 0001

re: Bar lady and the labour law

The fact that you have been at the same place for 18 months you are deemed to be a permanent employee. Work out what your hourly rate is and anything over 45 hours should be a double rate. Furthermore if you work on public holidays you should get double pay and if you work on Sundays you should get one and a half times.

You fall under the sectoral determination and there is a minimum wage in the sectoral determination if there are more than 10 employees you are entitled to R10.70 per hour as a single rate which increases on sundays and public holidays. If there are more than 10 employees the hourly rate is R11.92.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.