Question

Basset
Hi i have a basset at home. He is always breaking things, tears the kids toys. digs up the yard. He is a very gentle dog. He is a little overexcitable and tends to push the kids over. My girls are 2 and 6 years old. As a result they dont always want to play with him. I think he is lonely as he always sneaks out to to play with the dogs next door. I want to get another dog for him to play with. Can you suggest any breed of dog that will be compatible and child friendly. I also need a dog that can protect the house and the kids. The dog is a 1 yr oldmale basset.

Hi Lee

I propose that you consult a qualified pet behaviourist/trainer and request some help in this matter. It is important that you keep this breed of dog mentally and physically stimulated. I cannot comment on how you should address the problem as it is important to have an understanding about your interation/family interaction with the dog, exercise regime e.t.c before I can comment.

I personally feel that you do not need another dog until you make changes to contolling your Basset behaviour