Ask an expert

20 Jan 2004

Becoming an Animal Behaviourist
Good day doctor,

This is a question for your Animal Behaviourist. I was wondering what the steps would be in qualifying myself as an animal behaviourist. I have rehabilitated two dogs that I adopted from a shelter where they have both been for over two years and have always loved working with traumatised dogs. I would love to become involved with providing rehabilitating services, but am unable to find out how one should go about it. I live in Centurion, Gauteng. My one dream would be to volunteer animals for animal assisted therapy in old aged homes etc. but I feel I need some sort of qualification before I start getting involved with this. I have read a lot about the subject on the net but am unable to find an organisation in South Africa that lets people volenteer their animals to spend time with the elderly and sick children in hospitals. I would love to do this. Could you please help me in the right direction.

Thank you very much
Answer 473 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Al
You live very close to an organisation called Ethology Consultancy which offers courses in animal behaviour and animal assisted activities. See their website: There are also at least two organisations that are involved with the kind of animal assisted work that you enquire about. One is called Paws for People and the other (only in Cape Town I think) is Pet Assisted Therapy (PAT). They assist in training handlers and their dogs and organise outings to hospitals etc. The Ethology Consultancy can put you in touch with them. There is also an association of animal behaviourists called Animal Behaviour Consultants of SA which provides workshops and newsletters for members. See
Hope this helps
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.