Question

Beefing up
Im 16 and trying to build muscle Im at a gym lifting weights so the exercise part is sorted. Im 6"  2 foot 14 stone what food should I be eating to gain muscle and how much.

Dear Jon
As I just said to Rob, "Top athletes concentrate more on their carbohydrate intake than on bulking up with protein. The normal diet in SA contains more than enough protein for most athletes. You don't really need more than approx. 1.5 g of protein per kg body weight, so a 70 kg athlete would need 105 g of protein a day. You can obtain protein from other sources besides meat , such as fish (lower fat content), milk and dairy products, eggs (4 a week), legumes (dry cooked or canned beans, peas, lentils or soya- these proteins have a very low fat content) or protein shakes. Select foods and products that have a low fat content such as very lean grilled meat, venison and ostrich, fat-free milk, cottage cheese and yoghurt, and protein shakes that contain less than 3g fat per serving. To read more about this subject click on 'Fitness' and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for sportsmen and women', esp the ones about carbs, carbo-loading and protein. Also keep in mind that it takes Time to build muscles and that your muscle growth is directly dependent on doing exercise with weights every day. "