Question

Benifits of pilates
I am overweight, but besides that have no problems. Could pilates help me lose weight? What are the other benifits?
Pilates instructor

Hi Clueless

Weightloss is a multifactorial challenge that requires that you develop a plan based on changing many of your lifestyle habits. Diet and exercise surely play a large role. Pilates can help with many aspects of weight loss although most specialists will suggest that other forms of energy expending exercise are also followed.

Weight loss is not simply about burning as much energy as possible - find a good primary healthcare practitioner to help you create a plan then give it time to work.

The reply from Matthew is not entirely true - there are studies to show that caloric expenditure during Pilates matwork can be quite high. It is just that there are important principles to be learned before Pilates can become more challenging and the enegy use begins to increase. It is most certainly more brain-tiring at first BUT then...

Find out and try for yourself, I don't think you will be disappointed.
James