Ask an expert

12 Aug 2008

best breakfast food

diet doc, im 14 5ft 4 and walk around 5km after breakfast.. how many calories should my breakfast be? and what sort of food should i eat? i normaly have a big breakfast and try to have a medium lunch and small tea. breakfast is normally porrage made with water and honey, pluss toast/crumpits or crackers with fruit. or rice and vegies.

Lunch boiled vegies but not normailly potato.. not a fand. then some sort of carb like rye bread/pitta bread or some bran porage with brown sugar or honey, i like to have rice noodles and cabbage pluss mushrooms then a sauce with peanut butter soya sauce and lime juice, is that healthy?

tea is normally somthing small like peace of rye bread/soap or fruit. is this a healthy diet??

Answer 461 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Jade
At the age of 14 years, the RDA for energy for girls is 1310 cal per day and if you spread your energy intake over 3 meals then your breakfast should provide about 440 cal. If you eat more at breakfast than at other meals, it could even provide 550 kJ as long as the total daily intake is around 1300 cal/day. I gather that you are a strict vegetarian because you do not include any meat, fish, eggs, poultry, milk, yoghurt, cheese or other dairy products. If so your diet can become deficient in the following: high-quality protein which you need for growth at your age, iron and vitamin B12 (essential that you don't develop anaemia caused by a lack of these 2 nutrients), zinc, calcium (to grow strong bones and teeth), omega-3 fatty acids (for general good health). If possible you should eat a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet while you are still growing - this would mean including eggs, milk and dairy products. If you cannot, then please take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte plus a calcium supplement (Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz every day) and Salmon oil capsules (for omega-3). If you also can't use the latter, take linseed or flax oil supplements.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9250 votes
66% - 17781 votes