Question

Best suited exercise
Dear Doc

I know you cannot spot reduce, but I want to ask some general advice then about the hip, buttocks, thighs and upper arm areas. I want to take up cycling. I've heard it's a gr8 way to get in shape and stay in shape. I'm not big on exercise, but I already follow a healthy eating plan, just have to get the body toned in the right areas and get fit. I am very unfit at this point in time.

But before I do take on this challenge, I would like to know if cycling will help for the mentioned problem areas as well as for fitness. Or is there a better exercise for these? I'm not one for gyming (been there done that) and my other favourite "sports" are horse riding and ice-skating (which are both a bit too expensive to do on a regular enough basis). I really want to get into a very good exercise routine and try to find something fun to do at the same time. Sounds like an oxymoron at this time, but I've heard it can be done. I love the outdoors, that's one of the reasons why I don't like going to the gym to exercise. I also have very week knees, so jogging is out. Please give me some advice as to what exercise or sport to take up.

Thank you for your time

Rain

Hi Rain

Hey you are the perfect candidate to have it all - exercise and fun. Although cycling is a great way to get in shape and to save your knees a bit, if you say you love horse riding and ice skating these are probably the most ideal combination of sporting activities to get into shape and sort out those problem areas you mention. Doing a combination of all three will also give you variety and help reduce the chances of picking up overuse injuries. What are you waiting for....there's tone of fun waiting for you out there, just remeber to start slowly, ease yourself into an exercise programme for lasting rewards.

All the best.