Question

beta blockers and excercising
What exactly is a beta blocker? I have hypertension and a rapid resting pulse. I am using Renitec 5, Inderol, Ecotrin, Xanor and Librax for various reasons. I am 38 yrs old and was under direction of a biokineticist at the gym. She has left and I was at the gym cycling and set the bicycle to reach a heart beat of 137bpm. After 22mins I had only reached 132. When detail was taken by the gym owner for a competition, he was very shocked to hear that I had pushed myself so hard while being on a beta blocker. What is the function of a beta blocker and what makes it dangerous for me to excercise? I am not allowed to excercise without supervision. Please advise

Jenny, â-blockers are drugs that block the â receptors in the body. In general, when we refer to â-blockers we actually mean drugs that block â1 receptors. They decrease the heart rate, and also the blood pressure in hypertensive people. If you’ve been on the drugs for quite some time you can exercise as much as you like as the body has adapted to the effect of the â-blockers and the will be no bad side effects. Good luck.