Question

Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy
I am 37 years old and have two children, both caesarean deliveries. After suffering from very severe endometriosis and the crippling symtoms for 18 months my Gynae has decided that a total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy is now necessary in order to improve the quality of my life. I accept and understand that the removal of my overies will mean using HRT. But i'm confused as to the meaning of bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Is this additional surgery to total abdominal hysterectomy? What does it mean?

Oophorectomy is removal of the ovaries. Salpingo is removal of the tubes. These are usually closely attached so are easier to remove at the same time than leave behind.