Question

Bilharzia?? How to diagnose...
Hello,

I arrived back in the UK 4 months ago after 4 months travelling in southern Africa  I have had some episodes of illness since then, like feverish flu with a tummy upset, a vommitting bug etc, and I do have reason to believe one of the pools of water I swam in could have been a bilharzia risk. I even remember having a very itchy patch of skin after on my ankle.

The past 2-3 weeks I have been suffering from very bad fatigue, lots of joint pains, and feeling very tired and unwell. My gp is saying it''s " just"  post-viral fatigue, and is discounting the possibility of bilharzia because I did have a stool test back in February which was negative, but I understand it might not always show up.

Would a blood test for bilharzia be more reliable? How/where could I get one done, as my gp thinks it is not necessary? I just want to be certain I do not have bilharzia, as this mysterious illness I have is making my life miserable, and I was definitely at risk when I swam in the hot springs (with water snails) in Swaziland...

Thankyou,

Rowena

Rowena

You should reconsult your doctor and ask him/her to do tests to exclude tests to exclude billharzia, malaria and other parisitic diseases. Blood tests and a urine analysis has to be done.