Question

Binge Eating Disorder
I honestly believe that your diet during growing up and your psyche effect your eating habits as an adult. I come from a family where my mother and aunt are obese and my other aunt is being treated for anoreaxia & schyziphrenia (what hope do I have?). I have always been on a 'diet', either detoxing from week to week, eating 6 times a day or going from weight watching group to another and dietician to dietician. Believing that I have no will power and that a thin person is inside my overweight body wanting desperately to get out. I excercise five times a week (dancing classes 3 x per week, gym or walking) - but this has no effect on my weight reduction - it only helps when I am doing a diet 100% - not too often. To any person, I am 'fine' and 'not fat', but I think about food constantly - and what to eat every second of the day. On weekends, I have no self control and feel like a dustpin continuously emptying anything I can lay my hands on into my open mouth - whether hungry or not. I have read many books on nutrition and can give advice to anyone dieting, but cannot carry out getting myself to lose weight. I have recognised myself as being insulin resistent and now also a binge eater - I am so confused as to what to do, I could cry. I am petrified of letting go completely because I know that I will be obese like my mother and aunt. I know I should see a counsillor, what should I do???

Dear Tracy
Don't give up! You do have a Eating Disorder and you need expert help. If you live in the Cape then contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400, if you are in KwaZulu-Natal phone Riverview Manor at (033) 701-1911 and in Gauteng phone Netcare Rehabilitation at (011) 489-1111. These clinics are geared to assist people with Eating Disorders and will provide the necessary support that you need right now.
I am holding thumbs that you get help ASAP