Ask an expert

23 Jan 2003

Binge Eating Disorder
I honestly believe that your diet during growing up and your psyche effect your eating habits as an adult. I come from a family where my mother and aunt are obese and my other aunt is being treated for anoreaxia & schyziphrenia (what hope do I have?). I have always been on a 'diet', either detoxing from week to week, eating 6 times a day or going from weight watching group to another and dietician to dietician. Believing that I have no will power and that a thin person is inside my overweight body wanting desperately to get out. I excercise five times a week (dancing classes 3 x per week, gym or walking) - but this has no effect on my weight reduction - it only helps when I am doing a diet 100% - not too often. To any person, I am 'fine' and 'not fat', but I think about food constantly - and what to eat every second of the day. On weekends, I have no self control and feel like a dustpin continuously emptying anything I can lay my hands on into my open mouth - whether hungry or not. I have read many books on nutrition and can give advice to anyone dieting, but cannot carry out getting myself to lose weight. I have recognised myself as being insulin resistent and now also a binge eater - I am so confused as to what to do, I could cry. I am petrified of letting go completely because I know that I will be obese like my mother and aunt. I know I should see a counsillor, what should I do???
Answer 398 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Tracy
Don't give up! You do have a Eating Disorder and you need expert help. If you live in the Cape then contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400, if you are in KwaZulu-Natal phone Riverview Manor at (033) 701-1911 and in Gauteng phone Netcare Rehabilitation at (011) 489-1111. These clinics are geared to assist people with Eating Disorders and will provide the necessary support that you need right now.
I am holding thumbs that you get help ASAP
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.