Question

Bipolar - Health Questionaire
Dear Cybershrink
I started a new job3 months ago after being retrenched. This company basically took us over. Now they want us to complete a health questionaire for their records and they are asking all kinds of personal questions. Like do you suffer from IBS, Anxiety disorders, Mental Disorders, Stress Related Disorders etc. They want details of previous hospitalisations, surgeries etc. Because I am Bipolar I don''t want to divulge any information. The form states that if you withhold any information you can be dismissed. This sounds like a fishing expidition to me. I work and travel 50/50%. But I don''t do hard labour and my mental state surely has got nothing to do with them. If I have to list all my Physical ailments they will have to give me a lot more space! On top of the Bipolar I have ADHD. I will be coming up for promotion soon, which is great seeing that I have only been with the company for only 3 months! I have worked very hard the past 3 months to prove myself and I feel disclosing this information will ruin my chances at a promotion. I don''t want to ruin my chances by revealing my condition. I feel it has got nothing to do with them. They even want my Dr''s contact details, that is still fine in case of an emergency but if I have not been with her for longer that 6 months they want my pervious dr''s contact details! I feel they will be biased towards me if I disclose any information. This condition and any other ailments I might have is highly personal and I only disclosed it to 3 of my friends and my sister. What will happen if my manager now knows? How do you think I should address this issue without raising suspisions regarding a possible mental health issue I might have.

I agree with Maria - discuss this with the Dept of Labour and perhaps CCHMS and even a good labour lawyer - I don't think they're allowed such a fishing expedition, and if they are, they shouldn't be. I don't think they're allowed to discriminate against people with existing medical conditions . Maybe they need a reminder from the Dept and/or a lawyer that they are not allowed to do this, let alone to demand such information under threats and duress. And your doctor is NOT allowed to provide any medical information to the employer without your informed and express consent.