Question

bladder and prostrate cancer
Dear Doc, my father has just been diagnosed with cancer in the bladder and prostrate, and he has to have surgery. My concern is, wont the surgery spread the cancer and after surgery do people generally have to have chemo or radiation therapy. Thank you for your time.
Cyberdoc

Dear Billy
The treatment considered,depends on what stage the cancer is. Usually if it is contained in one place, they will do surgery and do chemo/radiation afterwards to prevent any inadvertant spreading of cancer cells. They will not usually operate if the cancer is widely spread, but will then only give chemotherapy.