Question

bleeding lump
I'm a 24 year old woman, and I've had a lump on my lower back for more than 2 years. The lump is under the skin, feels hard when I touch it, is approximately 4 cm in diameter, and I could see some reddishness externally (on my skin). Mostly the lump causes no pain, but every few months it gets really swollen and very painful. After a few days the pain slowly disappears and then the lump returns to it's normal size again.

The past few days I have experienced extreme pain caused by the lump. And last night I noticed for the first time that there were some fluid discharging from the lump. The fluid was bloody and yellowish in colour (the lump almost looked like a giant pimple), and I squeezed out as much of the fluid as I could. This morning the lump is still discharging some fluid, but it is less painful (although still sore).

Any ideas on what this could be?

Cindy, it’s difficult to say without being able to examine it, but it might be a sebaceous gland or a lipoma. The easiest would be to let your doctor have a look and sort it out for you. Good luck.