Question

BLOOD

I was on holiday and noticed a few red spots in a bath tub which to me looked like blood. I tried to wipe it off with some tissue and noticed that it did not come off, even after spraying it with hot water and jik. The last people that occupied the the premises before me, was there the previous night. My biggest worry began after having a bath, when I started thinking about HIV. I had a cut on my foot and was worried that if it (the spots in the bathtub) contained HIV, can I contract the virus even though it seemed dry?

Many thanks
HIV Counsellor

Hi Marlise!

In the scenario you describe, you have absolutely nothing to worry about as far as HIV infection is concerned. Any virus that may have been in the suspected blood spots would have been long dead by the time you occupied the bath. And your treatment with hot water and disinfectant would have gotten rid of all HIV viruses, even if fresh.

Stay well!
Laurent