Question

Blood Pressure and Glucose Count
Dear Cyberdoc

We had a Wellness Day today here at work and my blood pressure was 154/94 and my glucose count was 6.9

The reason for my concern is that I only have one kidney. I had my other kidney removed in 1981 after I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (age 9). My kidney had strunk and I had to have it removed. Should I worry about my blood pressure being a bit high?

I'm not happy with my glucose count. All I ate prior to having the test was a cup of coffee (2 sugars) and a full cream yoghurt.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks a mil!

Tania

Hallo Tania
Yes I would be concerned about the BP but not really the sugar - you should probably be on antihypertensive treatment especially if you have only one kidney. I'll suggest that you do your bloodpressure daily for a week ( at a pharmacy) and work out the average for the week - the top should not be above 140 and the bottom not above 90. If you are worried about the blood sugar, rather go for a fasting blood sugar.