Question

blood pressure and training
I'm a 38 yr old male and have been training, following the body for life programme, for the last 5 weeks. My resting heart rate when starting the programme was 82 beats per min, which apparently was reason for concern. Today my blood pressure measured at 115/65. Is this good or bad? And what is the difference between heart rate and blood pressure? And ideally, in a fit state, what should both be? Thank you

Hi Leslie

A resting heart rate of anything less than 100 beats per minute (bpm) is normal, so there is nothing wrong with 82. The average is about 72 bpm and as you get fitter, your heart rate might well get down to 72. Your blood pressure (BP) is excellent. ONe would be aiming for about 120/80 and yours is quite a lot lower than this which is good.

The main function of the heart is to pump blood throughout the whole body, thus transporting oxygen and nutrients to the cells and removing waste products from the cells. Your blood pressure measures the pressure of blood within the arteries and the veins.

When the heart forcefully contracts, the pressure rises. This is called systolic pressure. As the heart relaxes, the pressure decreases. This is called diastolic pressure. Both these readings are important. A persistently raised pressure is known as hypertension and puts you at risk of heart disease, stroke and kidney disease.

Blood Pressure
Normal BP: <140/90 mmHg
Raised BP: >140/90 mmHg
Hypertension: >160/95 mmHg

Your heart rate indicates how many times your heart beats per minute.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.