Question

Blood rush to the head
I suffer with IBS and have been to the Gastroenterologist for all the possible tests, which came back negative. Apart from the constipation / diarrhoea, I recently started experiencing a rush of blood in my head. This happens while I am sitting upright with no sudden movements.

It feels like a rush of hot or cold blood behind my eyes and in my ears, which sometimes also leads to my body feeling hot. It lasts a few seconds and stops. I thereafter get the urge to go to the toilet. I also sometimes feel that if I lay in a certain position, my head gets numb.

Is there a link between the IBS and these blood rushes that I experience? Is it something that I should be concerned about?

Thanks NK

Dear nK
There is a rare kind of tumour called carcinoid tumour that can cause abdominal pain, facial flushing, diarrhea, heart palpitations and other symptoms like anxiety or panic attacks. They can diagnose this by testing the levels of 5-HIAA in the urine, which are usually greatly increased with carcinoid. Just ask your doctor about this possibility?