Ask an expert

04 Jul 2010

Blood Tests
Dear Doctor. I have a suspicion that I have some strange virus. I am not sexually active so I know its not an STD. I have constant pain behind my right eye and down my neck and not even a voltaren injection works. Antibiotics seem to ease the pain for a while. I have one BIG fault and that is I smoke so it could be sinus infection. However the scary part is my head is constantly stiff and tight and so is my neck. My eyes hurt like hell and I cannot concentrate for long and i have to lay down all the time. How do I get a full body check through the governement hospitals and is this possible. All the hospitals seem reluctant to help me. Who do i approach. I beg of you or someone to put me in the right direction as I am very poor and have no medical aid or money. I am in agony each day and want to end my life it is so bad. There must be something I can do PLEASE
Answer 275 views

01 Jan 0001

There are so many possible causes for such a pain, and a virus is a really unlikely one. Sinus infection could do it, and there are some forms of facial pain of neurological origins, which resp[ond to rather different treatments.
Any properly competent government hospital or even clinic should be able to put you together with a competent doctor who can take a careful history and do a careful general examination, and run a few tests to clarify what this may be and how best to clear it up.
You will need to tell the doctor all about what has and hasn't worked, but try to not sound too desperate when arranging the appointments - you don't want to scare them off !
Pain problems are either very easy to spot and clear up, or they need proper care and careful review and work - and can usually then be cleared up.
Also explore whether you can get an appointment in the Department of Psychiatry or general medicine at your nearest medical school - the presence of medical students can be useful, as they are interested, have more time, and can ask their senior staff for advice whenever they need it
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.