Question

BMI
I seriously doubt that your BMI calculator is correct. According to it I have to weigh 73kg! I am 1.73m tall male and weigh 80kg,Isn' t 73 just too thin??? Paul Putter .

Dear Paul
If your height is 1.73 m and as an adult man your ideal BMI is between 23 and 24 then you would need to weigh between 69 and 72 kg. The normal range of the BMI is between 18 and 25. If you are a rugby player or an athlete with a very high percentage of muscle tissue then the standard BMI calculation is not completely accurate. You will need to have your body fat percentage assessed at one of the sports research centres (e.g. UCT or another university). If you are not an athlete then 69-73 kg is desirable.