Question

BMI 34
I started going to gym and seeing a personal trainer in May after losing my triplets. When I started, I could not even last 10 minutes on the circuit, weight 88kg, 1.58m. I can now do an hour of intense cardio, as well as at least half an hour of weight training, 5 times a week.

My asthma has also improved to the extent that I do not use my venteze inhaler at all (used to use it about 10 times a day) and I use my Beclate inhaler about once every two weeks.

However, I do not seem able to lose any weight, only a lot of centimeters (about 15cm just around my waist), and I now weigh 86kg.

Why is this ?? Could it be the amount of weights I use when doing weight training (i.e. 150kg legpress)

HI Gymbunny

I think that it could be a couple of factors acting together. The first point, as raised by someone on the forum, is that it's better to judge your success by your fitness and perceptions of exercise, rather than your mass according to a scale, for the reason that when you build muscle, even though you might be losing fat, you don't lose weight. So that is the first thing. The fact that you say your weights are quite heavy suggests that maybe this is the case. Perhaps the immediate change would be to knock off two weight training days per week (do 3 rather than 5) and on those 3 days, reduce the weight by about 25% to 50% and then do slightly more reps. That might work.

The second factor is diet. It's really important that diet is combined with exercise to achieve weight loss. The tendency is often for people to eat according to appetite, but remember that with exercise, appetite goes up, and so many times, you find that people actually eat more than they did before exercise! That weight loss does not occur is not surprising when this happens! If you can eat 'smart' and just try to eat foods that will of course replace your energy losses (because otherwise you would become energy depleted and exercise would no longer be possible) but not eat fatty foods etc. then it might make a difference.

However, I really think that you are on the right track - 15 cm is a huge result, and I think that you just need to keep it up. Get fitter on the cardio, perhaps, is a good goal to set yourself, and the rest should happen naturally.