Question

BMI is useless..
I agree with Ma'at. It is a shame that a qualified dietician would say that someone with a BMI of over 25 is overweight.

I have a BMI of 25. Therefore I am (by your diagnosis) surely overweight or at least a borderline case. Funny thing though, my body fat is 9%?!?!?! But how is this possible??? You diagnosed me as overweight? Let me tell you about myself.

I like competing mainly in triathlons. I train 4-15hrs/week depending on season. I eat "very" healthy. Still think that I am overweight?

If so, with what, muscle?? I don't think you will ever come across anyone that will go on a diet if you told them that they are carying to much muscle...

It is a wellknown fact that using BMI in isolation for athletes is a complete waste of time as different sports require different body types

Look at Word Class 100m sprinters. Most of their BMI's are way over 25 due to the amount of muscle they carry. I want to see you tell them that they are overweight and it is time they look at their diet!

Please stop generalizing and start giving full advice.

Dear Triboy
I must say that the number of top athletes that write to me for slimming diets is very limited. If you are pure muscle, then good for you. However, you know that you are few and far between and I would like you and Ma'at to suggest how I can determine the % body fat of each of my readers via the Internet. It's fine if they are at a good gym which offers such an analysis, but what should they and I do if they don't have the money to go for such an analysis? Should I tell them to carry on as is or should I give them a guideline on how to improve their eating habits and to start exercising? If a Reader specifies that he or she is a top athlete, they generally don't want advice on how to get thinner, but how to build muscle, carbo-load, use vitamins, etc. So I really don't understand what you 2 are getting so het up about. Carry on with your good work and let me use a tool that works well for the general public. I would like to suggest that you come up with a solution and I would be delighted to apply it. And who is generalising now? I would estimate that 95% of my readers who ask questions (about many different aspects of diet and nutrition, not just weight loss), are not top athletes like you.