Question

BMI ovulatory disfunction
Hi doc

Relating to your answer in post 639. I dont quite understand what you are saying re the BMI. i weighed 89,2 of which i lost 17kgs. Weigh 72,2 now. I am 1,66 m. Am I correct in saying BMI was 32,37. it now is 26,2. So can my weight loss cause non-ovulation (infertility). I have to lose another 7kgs to be at my goal weight. But if it my ovulation will come back to normal if i stop losing weight, then I will stop dieting. I must just add that i have stopped dieting for 5 months (march - july) as i experienced alot of dizzyness and have recently (1 month) started dieting again. Sorry for this long story, but i need to know if ovulation will be back to normal once i forget about dieting. thanks for all your help.
fertility expert

Dear Marlize

The object of BMI is to reach your goal weight and therefore I would safely say that you are not underweight or have a lower than recommended body fat ratio. It is only in extreme cases that if the body fat reserves or stores are well below its average, that ovulation might be impaired. Therefore, I would believe that there are other reasons for you not ovulating and these should be investigated independently.
In particular, a careful evaluation of your thyroid should be done as thyroid imbalances are a common problem in patients losing weight or are on strict diets.