Question

BOdy fat %
Hello, I have no doubt that you have been asked this before - sorry to ask again.

I have recently joined the gym in a new area. I have been going to gym for at least 6 years 4 times a week etc living a very healthy lifestyle etc.

I got married and went on honeymoon, moved to a new city, into a new house and a new job - needless to say, I did not gym for 2 months. My weight is at 63.5KG and my height is 1.75m. When I was 58kg 3 years ago I suffered dehydration and was hospitalized with anorexia.

On joining the gym, they do a body assesment and they confirmed my weight and height as above. They they told me that my fat% is 30.5%?????? and that my ideal weight should be 58.7kg...

Thank you for your assistance

Hi there

Your 'ideal' height is probably calculated using a BMI, or Body Mass Index, which is calculated by dividing your mass by your height squared. A normal BMI is somewhere between 20 and 25 (a wide range, because not everyone has the same muscle mass or bone mass, so they have to make the range wide). Your current BMI is equal to 20.7, which means you are currently well in the normal range. If you were to lose a few kilogram, then your weight would come down to 58.7 kg, and your new BMI would be 19.1. So I don't know where they get their advice from. It actually infuriates me to hear this, because they are giving you advice that may be harmful and that's irresponsible practice. So you have two choices, you can challenge them and find out how they have worked this out - I have a feeling that they have done more than just use the BMI, otherwise there is no way that they could have arrived at this number. Your second option is to just go about your exercise and ignore what they have said. I also doubt the body fat reading slightly. I would be curious to know how that was measured, but I'm sceptical. I can assure you that you don't have to lose any weight at all. Just enjoy exercise and focus on getting fit and healthy and don't worry, you are in good shape.