Question

Body Fat vs BMI
Hi. I just had my body fat percentage done and it's 10.6%, which I feel is not too bad for a 27 year old male. I still carry some extra weight around my middle and back though. DO I need to drop to 9 percent body fat in order to get rid of this, even though many say that below 10 is not healthy?

Also, even though my body fat is at 10.6 percent, my bmi is at 25, which is supposedly overweight. Surely the BMI system is inaccurate as it does not take muscle weight, bone density, etc into the equasion.

HI there

In a way you are right. BMI doesn't take into consideration muscle mass, bone mass etc, therefore for well-built people with a high muscle mass, their BMI might appear "too high". However, it is used as a guide for the general population, who usually are undertrained and not well-toned!!!

Your body fat is pretty low, so don't fuss too much about that, just continue with your programme, ensuring you are doing adequate cardiovascular exercise and perhaps chat to Dietdoc about your diet - maybe there are some modifications you could make there?

Good luck.