Question

20 Apr

Bold spots on my head and face
It started about 2 months ago with a small bold on my face, but now i have 4different spots on my face and 3 bold spots on my head.
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

25 Apr

Thank you for the question.

My apologies but I am confused with what you mean regarding bold spots. Are you referring to dark pigmented marks on the skin or are you referring to hair loss in specific areas on the face and head leaving bald areas.

I will presume you mean bald spots or small areas of hair loss. There are a number of causes for these bald spots:

Alopecia: this is an autoimmune condition where your own body’s antibodies start to destroy your own hair follicles. This can be managed by injecting small amounts of steroid in the affected areas. Unfortunately, there is no cure for alopecia.

Fungal infection often referred to as ringworm: tis tends to be circular in shape and may be accompanied with itchiness and even some red and flaky skin. One would need an antifungal topical treatment and occasionally oral medication as well.

Side effects from medication: these would need to be stopped.

Following the above your best option would be to see a dermatologist or your family doctor who can examine the skin and the areas of hair loss, make a diagnosis and from there decide on the best treatment options.

I hope the above has helped.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic