Question

Bonus and Increases
Bonus: Our company gives 2 bonuses per year - June and December. According to the company they have decided to no longer issue bonuses in June (this bonus amount will be added to December''s amount), and they say that they advised us of this via a meeting, but cannot find the minutes to prove it. None of the employees are aware of this new arrangement, but the company is sticking to this, and told us a month before our expected Bonus, that we are no longer getting one. Is this legal?

Increase: Our increases come into effect in June each year, and we have just been informed that we do not qualify for an increase this year. How can this be told to us just before our expected increase? Also, our salary structure has changed with immediate effect from a set salary to a performance based salary, without any discussion beforehand. They have mentioned this performance based structure to us before, and other departments are on this structure. But for us, there is only a downside to this new structure - we cannt gain money for good performace, like the other departments, but will lose money if our targets are not met. So the possibility exists that my salary will now be less each month, if I dont meet my target (over and above the fact that we are not getting an increase). How can this be enforced just like that? Surely this should be discussed, and new contracts should be issued to us?

Labour lawyer
Labour Lawyer

re: bonus & Increases

It is suggested that all the employees put together a grievance to hand in to your employer to challenge the decision.

Unfortunately in our law there is no rights to an increase.