Question

Bottle Feeding Problem
Dear madam,

My baby is now almost full term but was born 10 weeks premature she was hospitalized for 5 weeks, with no excessive procedures performed. Due to medication that I was on I was unable to breastfeed. My baby is being fed by bottle and I have tried 4 different bottle teats but despite all our efforts it seems asif there is excessive leakage from the corners of her mouth. How will I know if she is still feeding sufficiently to maintain her weight gain. I do not want to have to take her back into the hospital.

Thank you for your time.
Premature baby expert

Dear First Time Mommy

Premmies sometimes have a problem with lip closure and that is why they leak milk when feeding. A bottle teat that may help with this problem is one with wings on the side that fits nicely into baby's mouth. It would also be a good idea to visit a feeding therapist (usually a speech-language therapist that specialised in feeding) in your area to show you some techniques that may help. Also make sure that you position your baby in a semi-sitting position, since this may make her more comfortable when feeding. You can weight your baby monthly at the clinic to check the weight gain, but usually this leakage is little enough not to influence your baby's growth.

Good luck!