Question

bowels
Could someone please give me some advice on weather a prem baby is supposed to have such difficulty in moving there bowels as my grandaughter is now 18months and screams the house down when she wants a poo she also bleeds is this natural as iam very worried when my daughter see the gp all she gets is lactlose told its natural for prem babies, surely this can not be normal, it breaks my heart to see her sry just because she wants to go to the toilet and surely if it continues she is going to get a phobia to go to the loo every time she wants a poo. Please some one help me in this. Thanks T Buchanan
premature baby expert

Dear Tan
It is more common for premature babies to have difficulty with bowel movement, but by 18 months this should be sorted. i would advice that you see a child dietician who can help with a diet high in fibre and maybe some medication for the interim to soften the bowels. you can also do massage of the tummy a few times a day. massage the tummy in a clockwise direction to help the bowels with movement.
Welma