Question

Boy cant sit still when flying

Hi there
I just need some advice my son is almost 3 years old, he is not Add or something, he just cant SIT still for longer than 10 minutes, the last time our flight from Cape Town was a horror, he did not want to sit down, he threw up ect ect, now next week I am flying alone with my two kids, and I am terrified on how I will be able to handle him, by the way all painkillers en meds makes him hyperactive and not drowsy, so 5ml stopayne wont do the job. Do you have any advice for me please?
Thank you
Travel expert
Travel Expert

Hello SC,

You do not state if this is regional or International flights.

For regional flights they should take on board their own suitcases which should be filled with surprises to keep them occupied including one or two treats.

Meal times are usually a distraction but remember no one should have hot drinks on either side of the child. There over 5000 cases of coffee and tea burns a year in children flying in US. One can also take their favourite book to read to them while flying. One needs a bit of imagination and discipline. Vomiting can be a sign of motion sickness and getting a window seat over the wing may also help slightly.

For international flights all of the above and depending on time of departure a Valoid Paediatric Suppository and a dose of Aterax syrup helps with sleep!

Important to keep your sense of humour and involve the children in where they are going and what will happen as this all adds to the sense of adventure!

Dr Vincent