Question

Breast reduction
Hello,

Firtstly, thank you so much for all your advice, it must take ages! I have read all the info on the above mentioned topic in the archives, but I still have a few questions and hope you can help me. I am (and have been for the last 12 years) a size 36DD. I am 1.63m, 12 years ago I weighed 55kg and I now weigh 74kg, my weight has fluctuated quite a lot over the years and I have had 3 children, the only thing that has not changed is my breasts! They have gotten neither larger nor smaller. I have terrible back pain and often have to lay in bed and stretch for a few minutes in the morning before I am able to get out of bed. When I have my period it is often almost unbearable. A few months ago I spoke to my GP about a reduction and he recommended a surgeon and also suggested I lose weight (at that stage I wieghed 82kg). I have lost some weight, I still have about 10kg to go and I am exercising, although none of this has changed my breast size. I would like to know what is a good weight for me to be at when I go for the reduction (bearing in mind that I will probably lose some weight when they do the op), what is the healing time and are there any specific questions I should ask the plastic surgeon when I go for my 1st consultation? What are the chances of this op improving my pain and posture? I have no doubt it will improve my state of mind and self confidence, but if it is not going to do anything for the pain or my posture, it is possibly worth rethinking the whole thing.

Thank you so much for your help!
Mirinda
plastic

Dear Mirinda,

Ask your GP or person assisting you with your diet, to work out your ideal BMI (Body Mass Index). This takes your anatomical disposition into account as well. This is the weight you should be before you even consider a breast reduction. It is important, however, that you try and stabilise your weight after that. I would therefore recommend that you weight an additional 6 to 9 months before having the procedure.

You need to also rule out the possibility that the back pain is caused by something else, rather than your breasts and obesity. Ask your GP to send you for a proper evaluation in this regard.

The healing time for a breast reduction is about two to 6 weeks - it depends on yourself to a large extent. Many of my patients are back at work after a week. Full recouperation takes a bit longer.

Your plastic surgeon will tell you everything you need to know. A good idea, is to write down all the things YOU want to know, especially your unsureties and worries. Discuss these with your plastic surgeon at the consultation.

Again, improving pain and posture depends on what the underlying cause of your problem is. Some patients have had tremendous relief just by having a bra properly fitted by a specialist bra-maker, rather than buying something off the shelve. Because of all these factors, you need to be properly assessed for this.